Saturday, August 9, 2014

Homemade Taco Seasoning


In general, I'm not a Mexican food fan.  I think it's mostly because I can't stand spicy foods.  At all.  Hate them.  If it has any amount of "heat" in it, count me out.  I guess my older brother took the last gene that allows you to enjoy eating spicy foods because he can eat hot peppers like candy.  But me, if I look at a hot pepper directly, my eyes will start smoldering.  No, I'm not exaggerating.  I have something of an epic level of intolerance for all things spicy.  Words like "ridiculous" and "pathetic" have been thrown around in regards to it.  I always ask my family if something is spicy before I try it, and they respond, "For a normal person, not at all... for you, yes, don't eat it."



Lucky for me, my husband isn't in love with Mexican food either so I'm never forced to make/eat much of anything in that category, but we do enjoy the occasional taco salad.  Most of those packets that you can buy at the store to season taco meat are a little too spicy for me, and besides those things have a bunch of questionable ingredients in them anyway.  So I started making my own at home.  It's completely customizable, much healthier, and much much easier than running to the store.



This is our favorite blend of spices... It has a sweetness to it and just the smallest hint of spiciness.  For me, it's the "hottest" I want to go.  I think it's got just about the perfect amount of spice to sprinkle over a nice cool bed of lettuce and then smother with a nice cool layer of ranch dressing (no salsa for me, that's just too risky).  Hope you enjoy!


Homemade Taco Seasoning

1 tbsp Chili Powder
2 tsp Cumin
1 tsp Garlic Powder
1 tsp Paprika 
1 tsp Oregano 
1 tsp Onion Powder
1 tsp White Sugar
1 tsp Pepper (more or less to taste)
1 tsp Salt (more or less to taste)
(...and if you must, I suppose you could throw in some cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes... if you want it to be ruined... bleh...)

Put all the spices into a airtight container and shake or stir together until well-combined.  I usually use between 1-2 tablespoons per 1/2 lb of ground beef.  But you can use more or less to taste.  I often double or triple or even quadruple this when I make it so I have it for a long time.


1 comment:

Have something to say? :)