Sunday, July 10, 2011

A Yummy Weekend

Well, the weekend is almost over. Sad face. Friday, which I like to consider part of the weekend (at least the second half of it), was spent cleaning the house. I love to get this over with on Fridays cause then the house is nice for the weekend and I get to relax Saturday and Sunday (usually). I also made a really yummy dinner for Chad Friday night. Ham Loaf, Ultimate Twice Baked Potatoes, and Garlic Cheddar Biscuits. That all turned out very yummy, I must say. I meant to get a picture of it, but of course I forgot. The Twice Baked Potatoes, I think, are my favorite. Mmmm.

Then Saturday, Chad and I went for a drive toward the general area of Raystown Lake. We didn't really have a final destination. We just felt like going for a drive. Well, we ended up at a Wal-Mart in Huntingdon. Yep... we drove two hours to go to a Wal-Mart. We didn't even get anything. Bahaha! But it was pretty fun and very scenic. On the way home we stopped and had dinner and ice cream at the Milky Way. That was really good. I didn't realize how close we live to it! It's only about 15 minutes away!  Sweet! (pun! yay!)

Today, Chad and I watched King Street's live sermon feed from home because I wanted to get my dessert together for a cookout that we are going to tonight in honor of Chad's Grandmother's Birthday. I've had my eye on this dessert for a while, but never had an excuse to make it since it makes rather a lot. It's a very easy recipe (or I wouldn't be doing it), just a little bit time consuming.


1 package brownie mix (about 20 ounces)
1 package instant chocolate pudding mix (3.9 ounces)
½ cup water
1 can sweetened condensed milk (14 ounces)
1 container frozen whipped topping, thawed (8 ounces)
1 container frozen whipped topping, thawed (12 ounces)
1 bar chocolate candy, for garnish

  


 *Start by preparing the brownie mix according to package directions and allowing to cool completely. I use Ghirardelli Dark Chocolate Brownie mix. These are Chad and my favorite brownies. They have chocolate chunks in the batter that just make them so yummy. I baked these last night and put them in the fridge to chill overnight.


*Then combine the pudding mix, water, and sweetened condensed milk. Mix this well and fold in the 8 ounce container of whipped topping until there are no more streaks. This makes a tasty, thick and creamy, marshmallow creme-like pudding.

*Place half the brownies in a single layer on the bottom of a trifle bowl, or similar clear glass bowl. Next, dollop half of the pudding mixture over the brownies. I wanted mine to be pretty, so I took extra care into making it slide nicely between the brownies. Then spread half of the 12 ounce container of whipped topping on top of the pudding layer. Then just repeat: remaining brownies, pudding, whipped topping. I had just enough to do two layers perfectly.
 
*Shave chocolate from candy bar onto the top for garnish. I used a Hershey's dark chocolate bar and vegetable peeler and this was the hardest part for me. Apparently I don't know how to shave chocolate very well. But it turned out pretty anyway.






Mmmm can't wait to eat this tonight.

Then Chad and I took a brisk walk (at least it was brisk for me since I spent the whole time trying to keep up with Mr. Long Legs) and for lunch, we finally used our Panini Maker, a wedding gift that we've been wanting to try out forever. Chad made us both a delicious ham Panini, and I got off easy (“that's what she said” -Chad) with just making us simple salads with American blend and romaine lettuces, peas, red beet egg slices, cucumber, mushrooms, cauliflower, tomatoes, cranberries, bacon pieces, and croutons (At least that's what mine had. Chad is less adventurous with his salads). 


And we drank the last of my Boston Mint N' Tea that I just made yesterday! Chad actually asked if I wanted the rest of my full glass (which meant, of course, that he wanted it) and I let him have half (because I am the perfect wife).  We drank a whole gallon in two days! Gah!! We love that stuff!

Tonight is the cookout with Chad’s family and I’m looking forward to that, and also to tasting my Chocolate Trifle, which I haven’t tried yet. Hopefully it’s as good as it looks.  Chad keeps insisting that he make sure it’s not poisoned or anything horrible like that before anyone eats it. (“Not that you would poison it,” he quickly adds when I give him that special 'think-before-you-accuse-my-food-of-being-poison' look.  “But maybe the condensed milk… or the chocolate… maybe that was poisoned before you got it…”)

Nice try, buddy.  Nice try.

2 comments:

  1. YUMMY Dessert girlfriend:):):) I look forward to chatting with you more next time:) It was great seeing ya for a tad! You and your man are sooo cute!!! Great blog by the way! have fun chicka......oh and did i say dessert was yummmeee!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for fun weekends! So great to see you guys on Sunday and get to enjoy this delicious dessert! Thanks for trying it on on all of us. :)

    ReplyDelete

Have something to say? :)